Saturday, July 4, 2009



"I believe that it (the declaring of independence) will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival, It ought to be celebrated by pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other..."
John Adams

"You can't be a full participant in our democracy if you don't know our history."
David McCullough

"The American Constitution is the greatest governing document, and at some 7,000 words, just about the shortest. "
Stephen Ambrose

This is my favorite day of the year. While I have always appreciated the sacrifices made so this country could be free, until I started teaching U.S. History and researching more and more about it, I never truly understood what that meant. Now I can't even begin to think about the sacrifices for my freedom without becoming emotional. Every year I've taught American history I've tried to make sure that my students understand, even if it's only in a small way, the sacrifices made on their behalf. I hope that lesson will be with them always!

1 comment:

Jannie said...

Thanks for teaching about our history as a nation. Thanks for being such a great teacher. Thanks for being a good American.