Sunday, July 27, 2008

What is cool about Omaha, NE or Why Anne should be excited to move!


One of my best friends is moving. She's not entirely thrilled about it. She lives in Savannah, GA a gorgeous old city of the South, on the coast with lots of Civil War and Colonial Heritage. I love to visit her family in Savannah. Her husband has received a job offer in Omaha, Nebraska - center of the country, flat, farm country. He's already there working and Anne is trying to get the house sold and working on her enthusiasm. I decided that I would come up with 10 reasons why moving to Omaha is a great thing. Now there were tons of things that could be on the list and these probably won't necessarily be the top 10 things once she gets there, but I'm trying to be a helpful and promote positive thinking. Here are ten reasons Anne should be excited to move in no particular order.

1. 16 hours to her parents vs. 35 hours - that's only 2 days on the road or a really long all night drive.

2. The Winter Quarters Temple is less than four hours away (unlike most of the temples near Savannah, GA).

3. Omaha Children’s Museum (they do birthday parties and summer camps).

4. Church history /Mormon trail center - I think it would be a great place to take children who complain about why they can't have this, how much work they have to do, or how bored they are.

5. Union Pacific Museum (who doesn’t like trains?)

6. Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail Center (valuable to Me if I ever have to teach Northwest History)

7. She’ll only be one hour ahead of her parents and two from the west coast which means when I remember to call her on her birthday at 7:30pm – it will only be 9:30pm instead of 10:30pm. It's still fairly late, but not as bad and I can get away with calling her

8. 7 hours to Chicago, 6 hours to St. Louis - great weekend getaways!

9. She can see where President Ford was born (and Malcolm X’s birthplace too!)

10. She still gets to be near a river – maybe not as close as she was, but at least that will be good for the house insurance – of course tornado insurance is probably as much as hurricane insurance, but the flood insurance premium should be lower.


I've never been to Omaha, so I'm excited to visit. Anyone with suggestions of what is cool in Omaha?

1 comment:

Katie S said...

Hmmm. I think I'd take Savannah over Omaha. But, here are 2 more reasons to like Omaha:

- I am guessing that there are less mosquitoes in Omaha.

- You can't beat living in a city that has a Steak Co. named after it.