Monday, February 8, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I started this book yesterday morning before church and finished it last night before I went to bed.  I don't remember where I got the recommendation, but I loved it.  The book is told through letters and paints a portrait of post-WWII life in Britain, particularly in the Channel Islands which were occupied by Germany during most of the war.  While the story is fictional the historian in me loved the accurate picture of life during and after WWII.  I was drawn into the story through the letters - I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it any other way.  I highly recommend this book!

1 comment:

Katie S said...

I LOVED this book. I borrowed it from your mom and need to give it back. I loved Isola. I hope I got her name right. It's been a few weeks and a few books ago that I read it.