Thursday, August 5, 2010

Trip Thursday

I finally got myself out of the house and not just to go to the grocery store, JoAnns, target or Barnes and Noble. I decided to head to the Nordic Heritage Museum in the Ballard area of Seattle.  I probably spent more time in traffic than at the museum - that's because this was going on:

This picture was from two years ago, but you get the idea -the Blue Angels are in town and had practice today.  That means shutting down the I-90 bridge for their practice.  At least I got to watch them practice while I sat on the freeway and tomorrow I can see the show from my side of the Lake.  After a large detour I finally arrived at the Nordic Heritage Museum. 
The museum celebrates the heritage of Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, and my personal favorite Norway. 
The first floor has an exhibit about immigration from Scandinavia to the U.S.  Since some of my ancestors came from the area, it was fun to recognize some of the advertisements and situations portrayed in the exhibit.  The second floor shows the logging and fishing industries of the Pacific Northwest where many Nordic immigrants found jobs.  My favorite part of the second floor was the arts and crafts exhibit.  The third floor has exhibits dedicated to each of the countries represented in the museum.  I really enjoyed looking at religion sections that appeared in different country exhibits and the craftmanship displayed in wood and cloth. It was a great visit and then I sat in traffic on the way home and watched the Blue Angels 2nd practice! 

No comments: