Thursday, February 5, 2009

What I learned from my students - Semester Finals

This semester we've learned about culture, the Middle East, and South Asia (India and surrounding countries) so this is what I learned from their tests/projects at the end of the semester:

1. the Indians migrated to Venezuela and became Amerindians

2. Amerindians have the most people because they are the native ethnic group. - if they migrated how did they become the native ethnic group

3. Black people come from Africa so they were probably the original ethnic group there. - we've now dispelled the myth that black is an ethnic group in Africa

4. The Kurds migrated from Kurdistan. Since they are fighting to create a Kurdistan - it might be a problem to migrate from there.

5. Turkish cuisine is very common food to eat........(wait for it)....... in Turkey! I think this is self explanitory

6. Christopher Columbus (personally) converted the natives to Christianity in the Americas and Costa Rica - he was a busy man sailing, discovering, claiming land and converting all of the Americas to Christianity

7. A majority of the population of South Africa is African-Americans. African Americans are an ethnic group in Africa?

8. the Hebrew Language is a dead language but is still used and developed by the Jews. I couldn't believe that someone knew that there are dead languages - but don't tell the Israelis their language is dead

9. If there were more Christians in the country bread and wine would increase in value. Where this idea came from I have no idea!

10. On average women can have up to seven kids is their lifetime. - I didn't know I could only have up to seven kids in my lifetime

11. The Hindus & Muslims in Israel and Gaza Strip commence in shooting and stone throwing daily. This is a new development. I wonder what the Israelis are doing while the Hindus and Muslims are fighting in Israel.

3 comments:

Alina said...

Lol. #9 must be coming from the sacrament bread and wine! Awesome logic!!!

Alina said...

Oh, the last one is even better. There is nothing like stone trhowing at your enemy I guess that's why they still keep it around! I now want to meet your students :)!

Jannie said...

Stone throwing must be very effective - I haven't heard any news complaints about it lately!!
Very good, Mel. Thanks for sharing. It's a good thing Mormons aren't "Christians" - we would really increase the price of wine...but at least we can make our own bread!!!