Sunday, November 16, 2008

Welcome Christmas!!


Thanks to TBS, I got an early dose of Christmas movies tonight with "Jack Frost" and the cartoon original "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". As I sat, tears coming to my eyes while Jack had to say goodbye to his son at the end of the movie, I became so excited for Christmas to come!


Christmas is the best! I love the many wonderful things that make up the Christmas season. But one of my most favorite things about Christmas are the incredibly sappy, incredibly cheesy Christmas movies that play on TV over and over again. As anyone who has spent December with me can attest, I watch every single one of them, usually multiple times.


It can be a classic like "Miracle on 34th Street", "Holiday Inn", "White Christmas" or a cheesy modern tale like "Elf", "The Santa Clause", "A Season for Miracles", it doesn't matter, I love them all. Why you ask? Good question.


Christmas movies are all about relationships. They're about love, forgiveness, gratitude and compromise. They're about the coming together of family and friends in some great cause outside of themselves. They're about tolerance and patience for oneself and others. They appeal to the best sides of all of us. They help us hope and want to be something greater than we are. They provide a time for all of us to look around and assess our lives and relationships and really make sure they are the best they can be. To make sure we love as He would love and to remember that we are all members of a cause bigger than ourselves.


How can a single movie do all of that? I guess that is the miracle of Christmas!

Pop the popcorn... I'm ready for the next one!

3 comments:

Jannie said...

Amen. Thanks for putting that so eloquently. I can't wait to have all my favorite people together in one place and Christmas provides that excuse...or opportunity. When everything else goes or doesn't work or hurts or fails, there is only the relationships we have with one another and thanks to our loving Heavenly Father for showing us what is most important and providing The Way to be together always. The best Christmas Gift ever.

Katie S said...

Very nice. I am glad everyone did that Christmas getting to know you email. It was fun to see what everyone wrote. I am getting excited for the holidays. We watch Christmas movies pretty much year round. The boys love "Cricket on the Hearth". I have no idea what the appeal is, but they ask for it quite often - we actually have 2 copies!!

Shannon said...

Oh I love Christmas movies too. And they have started a little early this year with TBS's count down to the count down. But like you, I love it. And KOST is already playing all Christmas music, some complain that it's too early, but not for me.