Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Grandma Called....

Grandma Smith called and reported that she checks for updates on our blog everyday. I really have been a slacker at keeping in touch with people. I'm not very good at it, I never have been. HOWEVER - since part of my move is about changing things I don't like about my life, here I am posting to the blog.

So a little about my job.... I am the new Program Manager for a non-profit organization called The Pacific Coast Banking School. The school offers a graduate degree in Banking for banking executives. We offer a three summer session program for students who hope to learn how to manage a bank. Every summer - the two weeks prior to Labor Day - we bring 750 students from all over the United States - and the world, we have two students from Fiji, and three from Austrailia to the Univeristy of Washington for classes. We also contract faculty members from all over the United States to come in and teach. They all live and eat on campus and attend classes 8 hours a day. It's quite the event.

My job is to manage the logistics of the session as well as tend to all of the needs of the faculty. I started about three weeks prior to the session this year. Although I felt Ihad a pretty good handle on things, you really can't understand the scope of what you do until you've actually been through a session. I've been working 15 hour days for the past two weeks, and will continue for the next three days. BUT - it's all over on Friday! Next week I go back to my 9 to 5 schedule, bankers hours, gotta love them. :) I also get bankers holidays - no complaints there.

So far, I LOVE my job. Honestly, I really do. I love the logistic planning, and I love being able to still keep my hands in educatin. The faculty have been extremely kind and encouraging this week. Today a group of them brought me flowers with a card that says they hope I stick around! How great is that! I loved it!

So there ya go... that is a brief update of what I'm doing. Things calm down this weekend and I'll post again before next week starts. I love you all! Thanks for your calls, support, prayers, and thoughts! Have a great evening!

3 comments:

Alina said...

SO GOOD to hear from you. I was just wondering how you were doing because I was preparing our spare bedroom for mom's arival and set up your lamp in there! It looks great, thank you so much for passing it on. Your job sounds just like you! I can't wait to see you to catch up hopefully soon.

Jannie said...

You're doing a great job, Amy! And I'm sure next year's session will be a breeze - as long as none of the professors make any "racist" comments, right???
Hope you make it through the next few days and then can take it easy for a few days.
We love and pray for you every day!
MOM

Jenn said...

Thanks for the comment! Sounds like you and your sister are doing great. Glad you like your new job! Do you have a calling yet-- or have you been hiding!!:)