Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Viva Mexico!!!!!


Monday my Geography students took a Map test of Central America (including Mexico) and the Caribbean (just the large islands). There were 13 countries they had to match. I was pretty proud of the fact that the average score was 11 (The average score on the US States test was 15 & Europe was 10). The most exciting part was that every single student could correctly identify Mexico on a map. Of course I may have helped them with a hint - The largest country on the map is Mexico & by leaving the map of Mexico on the wall, but they usually don't pay attention. I cannot say all of my students know where California is. I have 10 students (born and raised in California) that cannot identify it on a map. Friday is South America - I'm hoping for 100% on Chile and Brazil!
- Mel

2 comments:

Heather said...

I think I had better start working on maps with my kids so that they can know where they live!

Katie said...

I think you are the most patient person I know. I would be pulling my hair out if kids didn't at least know where the state they live in is located on a map. That's great they at least know where Mexico is!